National Oilwell Varco Employee Reviews

Showing all 2,653 reviews
Project Coordinator / Inventory Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 17, 2019
This was a great learning experience for myself. The company usually promotes from within and has no issue teaching the upcoming employees the necessary skills to succeed.
Stay Away From the Nisku 15th Avenue Shop.
Operator/Labourer (Former Employee) –  610 - 15th Avenue Nisku, ABJune 16, 2019
I'm posting this because I just heard the same radio ad which had me apply for a job with NOV and thought I should relay my experience and thoughts of them.

Do not under any cirumstances, no matter how desperate you are, apply for any of the jobs at the 610 15 Avenue facility in Nisku.

The department I worked in was called the Reline dept. and it was by far the worst job I had and the worst company I worked for. I knew going in they operated with something called a continental shift which was similar to a rotating 12 hour shift work I worked at other companies but the morning and night shifts were fixed and you worked 12 hour shifts.

But even though you worked 12 hours shifts, there was not a single cent of OT pay and what was worse, even when you worked on a statutory holiday, you still received regular pay and even worse yet, if you didn't work on a stat holiday, you didn't get paid at all because of the stat holiday pay qualification policy of the company and the way they were able to skirt the labour code.

And if you're the hard working type, you'll always be picking up the slack for the lazy ones who just don't give a care doing as little as possible before they can get away with it and are only there to collect their paycheques.

What was worse was that the management pushed the hard working guys all the time and left the lazy ones alone. I've never worked in a place like that.

What finally convinced me to leave that company hownever was during last christmas season when the workload was low due to the machine that feeds work to the rest of the department
  more... caught on fire all because of the management's neglect to properly maintain and clean the exhaust duct work periodically. So, they forced everyone to stay home for 3 weeks without any pay before and after Christmas time.

Please read fairly. To reiterate, all of us were forced to stay home without any pay because the management neglected to perform regular maintenance on a machine and it caught on fire. This was not any of our fault and the blame fell entirely on the management.

The fire itself was on a scale for which the fire dept. should've been called. It required close to 10 full fire extinguishers to put the fire out. Some guys just ran away while some of us held ground and hoped for the best while emptying one fire extinguisher after another.

So, when they forced us to stay at home, we were forced to use up all our holiday hours and of course for all of us that was nowhere enough for the hours lost from being forced to stay home, so we were just left without pay for all that time. During the christmas time no less.

You just don't treat people like that. And this is why the vast majority of the workers they hire are visible minorities whom they know will keep quiet no matter how unfair their labour practices are and will just take whatever the management does to them.

It's a place that will always try to screw the workers over as much as possible before they can get away with it. All of us were always looking over our shoulders always worried what was next by the management to screw us over with. The worker morale was always low there.

There's also a machine shop in that facility and from talking with some of the guys working there, things weren't that much different. The hard working guys are always picked on and are always pushed harder while the lazy good for nothing idiots have it easy and good. The morale with those guys also seemed pretty low too.

And when I was there, they were always fearful that the continental shift will be forced upon them too.

I'm sure NOV as a whole is a good company to work for. They must be doing something right when they're a multinational, multibillion dollar company. That's what attracted me to apply for a job with them in the first place. But the 610 - 15 Avenue reline facility in Nisku is just one big joke of an operation.

Stay away from applying for any of the jobs there.
Pros
Cannot Think of Even One
Cons
Too Many to List. Refer to Review
Great company
Accounts Payable Analyst (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 11, 2019
In a typical day you answer phones and handle vendor inquiries, respond to emails in regards to inquiries for payment status, outstanding invoices or credits. You may work with buyers with questions about a purchase order when you are processing invoices. The best part is working with vendors, resolving issues, and having a great team who interact well together.
Nov
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Borger, TXJune 11, 2019
Pretty easy going place first thing in the morning as long as you made it to work on time. The typical day at NOV would depend on what you had to do that day. Everyone there had various jobs they were required to do. Not just the job you were hired for. I learned about many different oilfield parts and equipment used in the field. The people there are pretty decent to each other. Hard working people just waiting for the bell to tell them it was time to go home. The job really wasn't hard at all. As long as the person paid attention to their surroundings and followed the rules then they were in pretty good shape. The most enjoyable part of the job was the experience. From one day to the next you would never know what you would be doing. Sometimes it was a drag and other times it was very enjoyable.
Pros
Pay, People, Management
Cons
Neglect
Good stepping stone
Production Operator (Current Employee) –  Nisku, ABJune 11, 2019
A job that is impossible to take seriously because management doesn’t care. Culture is very toxic and breeds lazy workers. Maintenance is a never ending issue. Only pro is the pay/benefits are good from the start but there is no opportunity for advancement or raises.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Management, maintenance
Productive work place
Frp Pipe Threader (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 9, 2019
Fast paced work enviroment. Learned to work with fiberglass materials in which lead to other work related fields. They have good equipment to keep clean air for working enviroment in which is a big thing in fiberglass industry.
Diverse Culture
Business Analyst/Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 8, 2019
Always a full day of work and I like that. Day starts with SCRUM and sprints planned in JIRA. I like being able to balance my projects or better use of my time.
Toxic culture and no direction/support given
Fixed Asset Accountant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 7, 2019
I had no guidance whatsoever in learning my job. I was forced to speculate on what was correct and caught continuous grief for such. Others don't talk to you in a proper manner. An unethical workplace remains that way, until acted upon by proper authority. This is not a place I would recommend to others.
The opportunity to work with some inteligent people
Sr. Mechanical Design Specialist (Current Employee) –  Orange, CAJune 6, 2019
Cost reduction projects are a challenge, with minimal supervision. The culture is made up of veteran employees whom know their job. The hardest part of the job is the drawing release process. The most enjoyable part of the job is I get to work with smart people.
Pros
I am confortable with my job.
Cons
The oil industry is runs high and low. When were busy its good, when were slow redcution in work force is on the table.
no Advancement
Process Equipment Estimator (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 31, 2019
Unless you become a favorite or know someone there is no chance that your career will go anywhere. There is no loyalty for anyone but management, and to themselves.
You are timed for everything you do. Mike Olsen Is smart. You better listen to him or you are out!
WELDER/FITTER (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 31, 2019
They hire Philippians and pay them a very low wage. When there is a mistake made because lack of training, the yell and scream like junior high kids. If you book a vacation in advance you really need to remind them or each boss will come see you, Then ask why you were not there during your vacation. The management here Is ridiculous. Id rather go and watch my kids run a lemonade stand so I am not disappointed.
Pros
In the city, Good group on the floor.
Cons
Management, Long hours, No appreciation, Low pay, Old building, Ego's!
On Call
Electronic Field Service Technician- Offshore (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 29, 2019
Not a bad job but you recieve little to no notice before being called on a job, and you will travel 80-100% of your assignments. Management is not very considerate of your home or family life. This job pays decent but still lower than the average offshore technical postion. The company has continuously taken more and more of the once given bonuses and incentives.
Pros
Decent
Great company to work for.
Credit Analyst & Debt Controller (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 29, 2019
This is a great company to work for. The benefits are great. However the pay does not compare to others in the industry. They do not have any onsite Gym's.
Cedar Park, Texas
CNC Machinist (Former Employee) –  Cedar Park, TXMay 29, 2019
You only stay at this location for a while if you’re related to managers or if you’re buddies with the managers. Nothing was merit based or based on job performance and ability. They make the process take too long and then complain because of how long it takes to do a job.
Benefits
Cons
Rednecks running the show
Nice place to work
Intercompany Accountant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 28, 2019
Worked at NOV for about a year, but felt that upper management was not very communicative about goals and how to best move the job forward as a whole.
Awesome company to work for
Engineering Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 28, 2019
NOV is a great company to work for. The only downfall of the company is it's oil and gas so depending on the economy it's feast or fathom. They have great benefits and for the most part the people are good to work with.
Younger and fast paced
Inventory Clerk (Former Employee) –  Broussard, LAMay 28, 2019
Check in inventory, pull parts for floor. Keep inventory stocked and avabble. Shipped over stock to other locations.
Management was not the best to work for.
People would get to work get it done and go home.
Even though you do not get bonuses they would cook for the crew a few times a year.
Fast competive work place
HEAVEY EQUIPMENT OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXMay 27, 2019
Wake early in the morning go to safety meeting and discuss the workday ahead of you. Then go to destination work place and talk to relieve for additional information and start working.
Pros
401 k, and health insurance
Cons
little help advancing in the company
Nothing.
Quality Control Inspector (Current Employee) –  Cedar Park, TXMay 26, 2019
Management are lack of good management is why I have decided to leave NOV. Management in place cares absolutely nothing about there employee's.Moral is at a all time low in the 17 years I have been there.
Pros
Pay and benefits
Boa
coordinador de operacoes (Former Employee) –  Rio de Janeiro Macae BRASILMay 25, 2019
Muito boa empresa , fiz muitas melhoras em solda, sem problemas e a gente trabalho ordenado os objetivos se logrando todos a tempo.
Pros
bom

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Oilwell Varco. Our community is ready to answer.