First Watch

First Watch Employee Reviews

You get a lot of experience but it's hard to have good shifts if the manager doesn't like you

It was a good place to work to get experience in customer service and work under stress. But if you want the opening shift the manager needs to like you.

What is the best part of working at the company?Moneys good, management sucks.What is the most stressful part about working at the company?Micro management. Never get told good job. God forbid you make a mistake.What is the work environment and culture like at the company?Full of drama.What is a typical day like for you at the company?Watching my co workers fight, eating pancakes, and leaving with 100 to 200 a day.

Good job ruined by management bureaucracies

In general job is okay, could be better. My only issue is the lazy people they put in charge. Regional managers are wasted of space and have no cooking or restaurant experience. This company loses all the good workers to Karens.

Pros

Decent schedule, afternoons off.

Cons

They don't pay all the hours you work, Leave all the work to select few people, Horrible teamwork in general

Busy, lots of work

I enjoyed first watch for the most part. However lots of micromanaging people. Busy weekends. Fun coworkers. Little hours at first. Hard making money on weekdays. Lots of cleaning

Structured breakfast/lunch concept with opportunities to learn

First watch is a solid entry position into restaurant management. With all restaurant jobs it is hard to have a work/life balance. The stores are very clean and the concept is very structured. The menu is easy to prepare and execute.

Pros

Good working hours

Cons

PTO and Time-off not sufficient, weekends mandatory

Cool but stressful

Liked the job You won't like that the manager screams at you for everything.Decent lay and good raises over all not horrible if u can just hang in there. Did it for a year then just couldn't anymore.

Fun and easy

Pretty good on the busier days, manager at my location was nice so that helped. Stupid rules and on slow days you don’t walk out with much. All in all it’s okay

Decent

Expect to make at least 100 a shift. Easy sidework. Fun to get to know the regulars and bond with them. Amazing operations manager, however employees mainly run ship.

What is the best part of working at the company?Money was amazing til they had to cut hoursWhat is the most stressful part about working at the company?Everyone's "me-me" attitude burned the crew outWhat is the work environment and culture like at the company?Fast passed and stressfulWhat is a typical day like for you at the company?Crazy busy most days

What you make it

First Watch was like any other serving job: as good as you make it! Managers respected you if you did your work well and came in on time. Opportunities for promotion to management. Good clientele and hours. We had a couple parents that worked there for the hours. Some issues with workplace drama and troublemakers who stayed too long. Decent tips .

Pros

Delicious food, good tips

Cons

Drama, early days, some favoritism

Nice co workers poor management

Very picky as it is a corporation, if you’re used to serving a certain way you have to change it completely. Management is pretty much a joke. There culture has also changed so much to the point they just care about generating as much revenue as possible, not creating a good loving place where regulars and families want to come back to

Easy to love this job

I had a very positive experience working for first watch. They always treated me well and accommodated my schedule as much as possible. Only reason I give 4 stars instead of 5 is because you are required by corporate to work host shifts

Horrible Bosses

If I could recommend one job not to work at, it would be this one. Managers love being on power trips as if they get enjoyment out of watching their employees cry

Pros

Literally nothing

Good early hours, micro managing district manager

Employees are ok when there isnt drama present, tips are good for a breakfast restaurant, corporate is overbearing. Same gripes as most restaurants youll serve at.

Extremely Fast paced environment with no support

While working at first watch, the kitchen staff has been overworked, burned out, and are given no breaks due to staffing issues while service staff are allowed to be lazy, inconsiderate, and are not held to the same standards nor held accountable as the kitchen staff.After firing the manager that was overworked, they replaced them with a person who is lazy, inconsiderate and condescending. The work place has become toxic and unenjoyable.

Fun place to work, not super stressful

Everyone was super welcoming when I joined First Watch. I had coworkers buy me meals when they saw I was overworking myself with no food. The manager has been one of the best managers I've worked for in a long time. Super supportive crew, with a few who aren't as helpful or nice, but for the most part I'm surrounded with the people who are (but it's to be expected). Typical days are usually fairly easy to get through considering we're only open 7 to 2:30 pm. Overall a pretty good place to work.

Pros

50 percent discount for up to three people, supportive crew, good pay, 30 minute breaks for shifts longer than 5 hours, PTO for like every three hours you work you get 1 hour of PTO

Environment

Working for this company has its ups and downs like any restaurant. They have a really hard time keeping management and staff. They overall need to make it a better environment for people to have a work and life balance and a happier work environment.

Very fun workplace

This company is fantastic! They care about everyone that works for them. The hours can be improved since there is no need for 3-4 managers on one shift the whole open to close.

Great work place

I still work here and I would highly suggest this job. Management and staff are very understanding, and I look forward to coming into work everyday to see my coworkers. It's like a second family to me, full of acceptance and understanding.

Pros

Discount, Great Staff, Good Money

Cons

Short shifts, the restaurant is only open from 7am to 2:30pm.

Useless Management

The management is just “office sitters” that don’t do anything until things have escalated beyond belief. This location is full of cliques and bullys, and the management does whatever the “populars” want.

Good hours but bad management

The hours are great as a server - you are out by 3pm every day - and the money is good - you make at least 100 everyday if you’re good - but the management is not the best. We are constantly rotating through managers that are being trained (we have had 6 managers in training in the last 4 months) and they are not the best, but they really aren’t given much direction on how to manage a store. Management also has no faith in employees, or maybe it’s just they are afraid they might have to work if we get busy, but you have to practically beg to cut people and so it can sometime turn into a competition among the servers to take tables if we are slow which isn’t fun.

Pros

Half off food

Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at First Watch. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits
  • First Watch
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?