A'Sharqiyah University

A'Sharqiyah University Employee Reviews

Oman8 reviews
I was an English teacher in the General Foundation Program from September 2010 until July 2012, during the first two years ASU was in operation. It was exciting to be in "on the ground floor" and be a part of the start up of a new school. Some of my classes were challenging and some were a joy to work with. I was a Level Coordinator during my second year, and was able to design materials, write quizzes and exams and advise a staff of 22 other teachers. I loved Oman ... the people, the beauty of the desert, the culture ... and the peaceful, remoteness of Ibra with Muscat only a few hours away. I would have stayed at ASU indefinitely, as long as the original contract lasted but, alas, it was not renewed. If offered the chance (Inshallah!), I would return tomorrow.
Pros
Helping Design a New Program; Quiet, Remote, Starkly Beautiful Desert Location
Cons
Conflict Amongst the Management and Student Protests
Don't come here! You're wasting your academic career in this messed up place!

Management and stakeholders only care about money! money! and making more money!

They remove people with higher salaries and replace meager salary package to new hired faculty...

There is no such thing as quality here...
Pros
Cons
Everything..from the management to the weak students...
I is a new university. It is growing up. Its job environment is not completely stable.
Pros
good salaries
Cons
There is no promotion
culture and environment job are excellent ,but i want back to muscat close to my family >>>>>>>>>>>>>> i hope all the best to asharquyah university
It is extremely difficult to work and enjoy life in this university. The pay is very low and the working hours are very long, usually from 8 to 4 or even to 5 or 6. Teachers and staff are assigned "duties" which are not relevant to the job they signed for in their work contracts. For example, they may be assigned the task of registering students though they do not work in the Registration Department. It is a chaotic work place.
Pros
Cheap though unhealthy meals
Cons
Very low salaries, dangerous roads and environment, bad management
Low Work Life Balance

No Social Infrastructure

Low Job Security

Good Students

Good Community
Developing curricula, course materials and teaching theory and lab

courses in Biology/Human Anatomy and Physiology/Marine Biology.

Welcomes faculties from diverse nationalities and cultures.
Pros
Respectful students
Cons
located far away from the city
One of the most challenging job I had, working in a newly established university located 180 km away from the capital, Muscat.
Diverse staff from all around the world which is definitely a positive factor, also having a classes of different background students is very demanding task. being a lecturer has underlying tasks, in particular resilient coaching, leadership and supervising skills.

the town of Ibra which hosts this new university still in need of more infrastructure to accommodate the standards required to create a healthy place for a huge number of students, also as academics we had some difficulties in such an environment.
Pros
Diverse community
Cons
Location and climate